Settling down for a 24-hour flight to Australia, Lucy finds a text message on her phone from a woman claiming to have slept with her boyfriend, James, four times in the past month. Trapped above the Pacific, she questions everything about their relationship, but when she finally calls him, James reassures her that it was only his friend playing a joke. James is gorgeous and successful and Lucy adores him, yet at her best friend Molly’s wedding in Sydney, she finds herself having doubts and is keeping an eye on Molly's brother-in-law Nathan. Nathan is a happy-go-lucky surfer boy with no prospects, no place to live, and an almost-girlfriend in tow. Suddenly, Lucy finds herself caught between two distant continents and two very different men.


non-spoiler review



I've not read many chick lit books, I don't know why because I always seem to enjoy them but Paige Toon? I'll read her books again. Definitely. I think this will make me read them more. This was everything I wanted it to be. I was lent this book by a colleague at work who adores it and persuaded me to give it a go, and I'll be honestly, I was slightly reluctant. It think chick lit has this stereotype around it but it really should be given a chance.
I love that the author lives in the same city as me, too. It's always good to support local authors!

Lucy in the Sky was adorable. Fluffy. Sad. Funny. Inspiring and so many other emotions. You can't not enjoy this type of book. It's a guilty pleasure that you'll binge-read and finish in only a matter of days. I'm a slow reader but I read this quire fast. Well, fast for me.

Paige has such an easy-to-read writing style that sucks you in and helps you engage in her character so well, you don't want to leave them just yet. You want to know what happens, even if it's only something minor happening. All the characters were relatable in someway, and I really enjoyed reading about them and felt quite connected them all.

Another thing that surprised me is that this book made me want to go to Australia. I'll be honest, I've never really been interested in going but after reading this book, I kind of want to go now. I can hear my bank account crying already! You can tell instantly that Paige Toon has been there, I think she even lived there, and you can see that in this book. It's obvious that she knows exactly what she's talking about and I had such a clear image of how amazing it must be to live Down Under. There's nothing worse than reading a book set somewhere exotic and it's very obvious they've never been there. It's refreshing!
It's also nice to read about English characters (especially nice to read the slang!) and reading about charming London. Of course the main character lives in the nice part but that's what gives these kind of books character. It's always fun to read about places you'd love to live and live vicariously through them. Yep.

There were times when I assumed I'd know what would happen in regards to her relationship with James, but then things would happen and my opinion of him would change, then change back again. I was constantly guessing but of course..this is chick lit. Y'know it'll be a happy ending and it'll end exactly how you think, but it's always a rollercoaster to get there and they're always fun!

This book had charm, the characters had their flaws but were still engaging, and the story was all the way through pleasant and engrossing. If you like books that will make you smile, feel warm and fuzzy inside with a bit of emotion in there - you can't go wrong with Lucy in the Sky. I really recommend it and I'll be very likely reading her books again in the very near future. Warning though - this may make you want to travel! Major wanderlust after reading this book.


Have you read anything by Paige Toon? Let us know what you think of chick lit, we'd love to hear from you! We're new to this genre so recommendations and comments are always welcome. To contact us, either leave a comment or find us at any of the following: