"My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek.”

Harriet knows that modelling won’t transform you. She knows that being as uniquely odd as a polar bear isn’t necessarily a bad thing (even in a rainforest). And that the average person eats a ton of food a year, though her pregnant stepmother is doing her best to beat this.


What Harriet doesn’t know is where she’s going to fit in once the new baby arrives.



With summer plans ruined, modelling in Japan seems the perfect chance to get as far away from home as possible. But nothing can prepare Harriet for the craziness of Tokyo, her competitive model flatmates and her errant grandmother’s ‘chaperoning’. Or seeing gorgeous Nick everywhere she goes.



Because, this time, Harriet knows what a broken heart feels like.



Can geek girl find her place on the other side of the world or is Harriet lost for good?






Well, what can I say! This book was a fantastic addition to book one, Geek Girl, with so much more mishaps and embarrassing situations than before. Harriet goes to Tokyo, Japan this time for a trip that'll certainly teach her some lessons.

I liked that this one had a bit of mystery to it, we had some moments when we didn't know who to trust and who to like. Somebody was attempting to get her kicked off the job she had going - and it was a great one at that! - so the drama was exciting. I had a guess at the start who it was and I was right but there was so much more stuff around it. I liked it a lot.

Harriet was still the same ol' Harriet, always acting before thinking or listening, so she obviously got into some scrapes. I think she messed up every single job she had apart from one (my favourite, it sounded beautiful) but that's what keeps for entertainment. I think this book was hilarous!
I still love the facts she's sprouting out, I think this book teaches me a lot more useless facts that I can tell people I know too, so thanks for making me the Geek now, Harriet.
I just love how Harriet teaches us all that it's okay to be different. She has the faults and insecurities that we've all had but that's okay. We're human. We can't be perfect. She's lovable and easy to get on with, if you like facts, and all she wants is to be happy, she wants to be with her family and friends and she's not comfortable with dolling up and parading round. She wants to be herself. Despite being a geek, she handles her situations as being her and I love that. Yes she meets these beautiful people and feels self-conscious but don't we all get that? I think we can all relate to her.  

The stuff with Nick, I enjoyed that quite a bit. It didn't actually pan out how I thought, I expected a different reasoning behind what happened with them but still, I liked how Holly Smale wrote it. It was great. I like Nick quite a lot so I'm glad he wasn't made out as some kind of jerk. He actually reminds me of a few character's I've read before, so charming and down to earth (considering his job), and has a great sense of humour, aswell as being handsome. 

The housemates, well Rin is certainly amazing. Her trying to speak in English and her kawaii personality (see, I'm now learning Japanese!), she was so easily lovable. I really hope she makes an appearance in the last book, which I'm sure she will. Poppy was sweet too! Until...well, I won't give anything away. It'll be interesting to see her in the next book two, it'll add to the drama.

Oh and my darling Willbur - with a bur not an iam - how I love thee. He always makes me smile when he makes an appearance in the book. His oh so kawaii nicknames for Harriet are so sweet and I wish someone could say things like that to me, no matter how random they are! It's funny. (using that word again, kawaii. Incase you don't know, it means cute)

Yuka was her scary self and I still have an undying love for Harriet's family. The dad is just....oh lordy, he's hilarious! I wish he was my dad - I think I said the same in the last review - he's just hilarious. This part summed it up.

Most of them wanted to know if I've arrived in Japan safely, and four of which want to remind me of what I'm missing.
1. You left a multipack of Mars Bar on top of your wardrobe. Can I have one? Dad x
2. I had three. Hope that's OK. Dad x
3. I'm just going to have one more. Dad x
4. Harriet, your Dad's made himself sick on an entire multipack of Mars Bars again. Please don't leave sweets where he can find them. A x

Brilliant. It's so random but I found that so funny. Mr Manners, you funny little bunny, you. 

I'm so intrigued by Japan so reading a book set in Tokyo was just amazing, it's so interesting to see what Harriet was seeing. It's a completely different world! (well, not exactly, but you know what I mean), it's all incredibly different but it's a fascinating beautiful. Reading about all the weird and wonderful sights, the different people and how they live, it's very cool. If only more books were set in places like that. Or maybe more books that I tend to read. Harriet has a tendancy to hide under the table when she gets scared, it's brilliant how she couldn't do that when she went to Tokyo. 

Anyway, Geek Girl so far is a really great and enjoyable read, you should give it a go. It's a one-sitting book (although it took me so long but I've been busy!), the characters are quirky, fun and relatable. Teenage problems and exotic places, fashion and friendships, love and hate, it's all going on in this.
Grab a copy, take a journey to Tokyo with Harriet and enjoy her embarrassing ways in the fashion world, you won't want to miss it. Very enjoyable. 

I shall be definitely picking up book three, Geek Girl: Picture Perfect when I can!

*


GOODREADS

REVIEW:
Geek Girl


Have you read this book? Will you be picking it up? Let us know in the comments or on Twitter