Welcome to the first of the many Top 10 Monday lists on The Honest Bookclub!

As this is our first, introductory list, we thought we'd start of easy and kick things off with our top 10 favorite book series. (Truthfully, we were going to do one a bit more challenging but found it a bit too challenging to start out with, and so here we are. It's always sobering to learn you have not yet read enough books in your lifetime to fill a specific top 10 list.)

As with all future Top 10 Monday posts, expect these lists to be highly subjective and to reflect our personal taste rather than a general consensus. Feel free to agree, disagree, make your own list and share it with us. You might even find some books which you like the sound of and wish to read in the future. And we'd certainly love to have the opportunity to get some recommendations from all of you. So feel free to share your own lists and/or thoughts below.

Just to let you know, these are not in order of our favorites.

And without further ado...







Lexie's Top 10 Favorite Book Series


1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling


 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on Goodreads


Dragons, butterbeer, flying broomsticks, invisibility cloaks, moving staircases, three-headed dogs, immortality, an appearance of immortality, bullies getting punched in the nose by a girl, giants, prophecies, pet owls, a power-hungry government, disappearing gold, books that scream, books that bite, metamorphoses, cockroach candy, underground vaults, underdogs, bouillabaisse, house elves, fairytales, and an occasional troll.
This series brought magic to my childhood. It taught me to favor what is right over what is easy. It taught me that I am defined by my choices far more than my abilities. It taught me that just because something is happening inside my head doesn't mean it is not real.

2. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

 Shatter Me on Goodreads

I am forever falling in love with Tahereh Mafi's way with words. I could read the series a thousand times and never quite manage to grasp the beauty of it in its entirety. It's overwhelming in its effortless flow. It's poetic, lyrical and transformative. Many of the characters undergo an utterly inspiring character development as the series progresses. And Tahereh Mafi is no stranger to a certain kind of regression, either. Some will flourish. Some will wane. I changed my mind so many times, it made my head spin. And it delivered a resolution worthy of the series. Also, in my personal (and heavily biased) opinion, it's one of those rare instances where each book is better than the last.

3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

 The Hunger Games on Goodreads

Arguably the strongest, most inspiring female protagonist that has ever graced the pages of literature (again, in my heavily biased opinion). Arguably contains some of the strongest messages regarding our society and the world we live in (and it's not even set in our world). Arguably the plot to rival all dystopian plots. Arguably the leader in its genre. And assuredly a permanent staple in this and any future lists of my top 10 favorite series.

4. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

 The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer on Goodreads

Mara Dyer is insane. Or maybe not. She might have a lethal power. Or maybe not. The world is exactly as it seems. Or maybe not.
Also, her name isn't Mara Dyer.
This is the ultimate psychological-thriller-meets-unreliable narrator young adult novel, where one soon learns to question absolutely everything one is told. Hallucinations meet paranormal occurrences, psychology meets psychopathology, and all of this is interspersed with a friend's sense of humor, the boyfriend's many witticisms and a brother's conspiratorial jokes.
Give it a chance. You'll love it. Or maybe not.

5. The Archived by Victoria Schwab

 The Archived on Goodreads


Of all my top 10 picks, this is most certainly the underdog. I just don't feel that this book gets enough credit, or enough exposure, considering how gripping I found it to be. In a world parallel to our own where the dead are stacked on shelves like books, a girl has a job to find and retrieve the escaped ghosts before they reach the outside world and wreack havoc, bring mayhem and cause overall destruction. Come on, it's a giant library of dead people you can read! What more could I say to reccomend it?
The writing style, too, is something that makes this book, as well as the next one on this list, below.

6. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

 Daughter of Smoke and Bone on Goodreads


This is cheating ever so slightly, seeing as I haven't actually finished this series. So I might be getting ahead of myself. But with a plot so intricate, a world so gripping and characters so realistic, I fail to see how this series could fail me in the future, so I'm giving it a place on my list with no regrets. I'd attempt to explain the plot if there were a conceivable way to do it. But there isn't. Trust me on that one. I went into it virtually blind, and I was not in the least confused or disappointed. The worldbuilding in this book is second only to that of "Harry Potter", in my books. (Pun. I went there.)

7. Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens

 Thoughtless on Goodreads

I should be more concerned that this is the only contemporary series on my list. But somehow, I'm not.
As a contemporary story, "Thoughtless" centers around human errors, poor judgment, impulsive decisions, tests of faith, shifting loyalties and just about everything, both right and wrong, that comes with love, friendship and family. Overall, I happen to be a sucker for books where it's okay to not always make good choices. It's okay to not be perfect. It's okay to not always be okay. Because it's human to error, and human to strive to make the best of our mistakes.
And that's what Thoughtless ultimately left me with.
(Also, Kellan Kyle. Just sayin'.)

8. The Hercule Poirot novels by Agatha Christie

 The Mysterious Affair At Styles on Goodreads

I'm a cheater. I'm a massive, massive cheater. The Hercule Poirot novels, which there are 40+ of, are most certainly not a series. In fact, they are a set of standalone murder-mysteries which all feature a rotund, moustached Belgian detective with a compulsive need for order and a fondness for fine dining.
Even so, I grew up with these stories. My brain did more gymnastics with each of these books than my body did in my entire lifetime. And much as I struggled to keep pace with Poirot and unravel the mystery before he does, I have hardly ever gotten anything right. The few times I did? They have a place of pride in my booklover heart.

9. The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist

 The Riftwar Saga on Goodreads

Yet another fantasy series that made my childhood. Magicians, dragons, enemy in the form of interdimensional monsters, poisons, firedrakes, hunters, kingdoms and a very dashing lead (at least my fifteen year old self thought so). It might be the first series where I read a book a day and finished them all in record time. You don't understand, guys. I was on a quest to fight for the freedom of humanity. I was right there with them. And it was a good quest, too.

10. The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

 The Infernal Devices on Goodreads

"The Infernal Devices" is set in Victorian England, where the nephilim walk among humans, a werewolf pack is lead by a fashionista, a sassy warlock finds himself fascinated by a lost boy and hordes of automaton robots threaten the world as we know it. It's fantasy, it's steampunk, it has a heroine who loves literature and two heroes with an unbreakable bond of brotherly love. It took me on a journey and left me thoroughly satisfied.



Natalie's Top 10 Favorite Book Series


1. Thoughtless by S.C Stephens




This series is definitely one of my favourites. I wasn't sure at first if I wanted to read this, I umm'd and ahh'd for a while and I finally picked it up.I wasn't into books like these at the time but thought I'd try something new. Boy, am I glad I did. I love everything about this series, the characters, the story, the romance, the humour, the setting – everything. I'm so attached to these characters and I think S.C created an amazing bunch of people and a great love between Kellan and Kiera. Although it's not everyone's cup of tea, mostly being the main character and her indecisiveness, it certainly gets better with each book. I love it.

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



I don't know many people who don't know about this series, seeing as now it's a successful film series. I read this to help get over my Post-Potter Depression and ended up obsessed with yet another series. Like I needed that. It's action packed, fast paced, exciting, shocking and very, very entertaining. I don't know anyone who hasn't raced through this book and not wanted to read Catching Fire immediately. I'd recommend this series for people looking to get into reading.


3. Harry Potter by J.K Rowling



Is there a point in me even saying why I love this series? The Harry Potter series is so close to my heart and it's a massive part of my life. As everybody says. It's so enchanting and magical with characters you love and cherish, you can't not fall in love with them and their incredible world. I, for one, cannot wait to lend my niece and nephews these books and get them to explore the amazing world of Mr Potter. The trio were (and still are!) my childhood friends through thick and thin and Hogwarts will always be my second home. 

4. Slammed by Colleen Hoover



I love Colleen Hoover's writing. Her stories are so easy to get into and there are so many relatable things in this series. Although Slammed is about a teacher/student relationship, it's not creepy at all. I'd just like to point out, they're both late teens/early twenties so it's not about a 16 year old and an old man incase you're wondering. Ms Hoover wrote some very human characters that you can't not love and want to protect along the way with some incredible words of slam poetry in between, an enjoyable story with a cute love story in it. If you're looking for a series that'll have you hooked emotionally and a romance that'll make you feel warm and fuzzy, give this one a try. Warning: it might make you cry!

5. Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan




Do NOT judge this series by it's movie. I beg you. The movie adaption of the Percy Jackson series are just plan awful. I'm constantly telling people to forget they even made the films because I try to. The Percy Jackson book series is such a fantastic book series that's incredibly entertaining and exciting that there's always something happening on every page, and if it's not drama, it's Percy being sassy. The characters are strong, independent, smart and so funny, you'll love them and grow up with them as the series progresses. 
Once the Percy Jackson series comes to an end, the Heroes of Olympus series follows. Percy is back, so are his friends, but he meets more incredibly brave and talented demi-gods and the adventure gets even more entertaining. It's actually classed as a children's book but don't let that put you off, just think of Harry Potter. And I certainly think Heroes of Olympus is more towards teens so that might make you feel better.
Another thing, don't read Heroes of Olympus until you've read the Percy Jackson series, you won't know what's going on  ;) 

6. Losing It by Cora Carmack



Odd choice to put in my top 10 series but I adore the Losing It books. They're fun, easy to read and really cheered me up. They all put a smile to my face - especially book one Losing It - so I know if I need a boost, I can give this one a read. Each book has a different story but they're all related to each other in a way, as book two is about the best friend of the last book so other characters are always popping up. Give this one a go if you want a chuckle.....and to swoon over a smart, attractive British guy (although as a brit myself, his accent didn't make me swoon but he's still very nice), you'll love Cora's easy flow writing and her lovable characters from page 1.


7. Obsidian (the Lux series) by Jennifer L. Armentrout



I didn't think I'd like this series. It's about aliens and when I first saw that, I was like 'nope, no way, thanks very much' but after a while, I gave in and I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did, it's entertaining from start to finish, a new take on aliens who are in the forms of humans, and a love story which is well written. I loved it and I definitely can't wait for the last book int he series. Twists, supernatural powers, love, friendship, humour, betrayal, mystery, it's all here! Give book 1 a try and see how you get on.


8. Angelfall by Susan EE



If you haven't, please look into this series, check it out on GoodReads or ask someone who's read it. Although the reviews are good, sometimes that doesn't always mean it's a great book but Angelfall? I don't know anyone who's read it and not liked it. Another book that's usually out of my comfort zone, a book about angels. Not usually my cup of tea but the hype sucked me in and I loved it from cover to cover. Book two was just as action-packed and I'm definitely psyched for the last book in the series. Cliffhangers, action, adventure and love, it's a fantastic read. Susan Ee has a great way with words and she'll have you hooked!
 






This book series was a real rollercoaster of emotions! It's a series that sometimes you can get frustrated with it because the main characters get in situations that keeps them apart and you're just like 'arhg!', but you can't help but be sucked into their world and be so into what happens in their lives. Tarryn Fisher writes so well that you'll love her words and not be able to put the book down. Fantastic series, I highly recommend it. 


10. Heist Society by Ally Carter



I loved this series so much! It's charming, funny and constantly entertaining with some very lovable characters. Our main character, Katarina Bishop, gets to travels the world and breaks the law in this exciting story, you get to see how she pulls off great Heists and come face to face with gangsters and spies. Very enjoyable!